Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Something funny happened to me on the way to the show...

isn't that how the old set up goes?

Seriously, anyone who reads this regularly and thinks of moving to Costa Rica, check this out, and send the link on to anyone you think would be interested.

The K-house project is not just a house. It is part of a larger picture. I dedicate the approach to Nosara, hoping that through example I can encourage people to develop their plots in flattering fashion. I am not a pioneer. I owe a lot to the crusaders who fought for the 200 meter set back from the high water mark, and those that fought to maintain the green spaces and park lands that make Nosara unique on the Guanacaste and guarantee its continued beauty along side the unrestrained shotgun developments further north and south. Indeed, I could have bought, when I did, in Malpais, or Samara, or Marbella, but I chose Nosara because of its tradition of conservation and balance.

The project is also intended to generate value in the land against which I can borrow. I am not looking for a fast buck, but rather a good profit while developing an area in a responsible manner. I planned to finish the house, and then to look for another good investment, and to develop that land with a harmony between nature and homes.

This is nothing new to me. I have been fascinated and involved in development for a long time. My emphasis has been on alternative development. Places like SeaSide, in Florida, that leave the cookie cutter mold, and dare something new, and particularly suited to living, and in the end leave people with a great living experience. I love the co-housing approach, also known as intentional community, which seeks to engineer neighborhoods, instead of housing developments. Places where neighbors interact, with great open spaces preserved for their use.

In intentional community development, houses are grouped together, to allow land density variations and great open spaces. Instead of 8 houses with a quarter acre yard, the houses are private but in close proximity and share a 2 acre yard. I believe that this approach is particularly well suited to Costa Rica, where to magic is in the land itself.

It was during a description of this approach, and a discussion of its application in Nosara that I was approached by a man selling land. He owned dozens of acres for 15 years, and loved their pristine beauty so much, he deeded them to the Costa Rican Government. Today they are the registered biological preserve at the mouth of the Rio Nosara, and Playa Nosara. He held several small properties on the boarder of this preserve, and it was these, upon hearing my approach, he discussed selling to me.

His land is located in an area known as the “Pura Zona” development, one of the last stands of virgin hardwood forest left in the Guanacaste. The land itself is bordered on three sides by Biological preserve. That means that no one ever can encroach upon the peace and beauty of the land. No noise, no large ugly buildings, no dust kicked up by passing traffic. And the land is magical. I know. I spent a long afternoon hiking in it, and another dawn watching it light up.



The area is flanked with lush green foliage and loaded with birds: woodpeckers, ibises, seabirds, herons, egrets, and even parrots. The forested area is home to monkeys, coatis, armadillos, deers, wild cats, butterflies and iguanas. I saw the small black monkeys up in the trees and they called down at me. The river opens up one view, and in the distance you could see the Santa Cruz Mountains. The high water mark from the 15 year flood is still a couple hundred feet from the property.






The area was dense with virgin hardwoods. This makes it almost completely unique in Costa Rica...virgin tropical forest, only a 10 minute walk through a biological reserve to a beautiful surfing beach, without the possibility of losing your privacy. Still, you can get in a car and have access to all the amenaties of Nosara, restaurants, massages, yoga studios, Gionness beach, in under 5 minutes. I drove it four times and timed it.






So, I spoke with this German gentleman who has owned this land for 15 years and left it untouched, who has saved dozens of acres of forest for the continued enjoyment of the citizens of the area, and sold him on my vision, of 16 units, nestled in the forest, with views of the river, and elevated walkways through the trees. No clear cutting, no deforestation, no massive mansions. A community, hidden in the woods, but walking distance to the beach, and minutes from town. He was sold, and gave me a deeply discounted price.

So I am looking for investors. I am not looking to save a piece of untrammeled Costa Rican beauty. I hope that eventually my friends will buy some of the houses I will build, and we can sit on their porches and listen to the waves, and get up early, and surf alone on the beaches of Ostional. I propose to handle the purchase of the land, the work with the architect, and be on site every day for the development of the houses to be built in the forest. There is, and I have looked hard, nothing left in Nosara under 300k, and even then, you are going to fight your neighbor for the possibility of a peek of the water. On the other hand, of it fits you, and you are interested, you can live in a protected zone, look out over the Rio Nosara, live in peave and silence under a canopy of hardwoods, walk to the beach, ride the river, and enjoy the serenity of Costa Rica as it was 20 years ago.


Something funny happened on the way to the office...

Drop me an email if you want more information. I believe in this project, and I would love the chance to tell you about it, but I will only do it right. If its rushed, or not a good fit for everyone involved, I move on. I wanted to save a piece of Costa Rica, something left of its pristine beauty. This chance came earlier than expected, but hey, opportunity knocks.

firstpitchstrike@yahoo.com












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter