Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The image you see below is one of a set of 4 delivered to me by Guillermo and his team at DatumZero. My impression on seeing them probably mirrored yours---Oh My Heavens. I was stunned by the accuracy and detail of the images, but taken by the outcomes of the project thus far.

The images are so close to real life, that a friend to which I showed them had to look closely before she would believe they were not photographs. I dont know what the software is that does that, but it is amazing.

Two of the images are of the interior of the house. One looking in each direction through the horizontal volume of the house from the gallery. The living room looks very warm. Pale wood floors, and wood walls. Until this treatment, I had not thought about the collor or materiality of the walls on the interior. GUillermo, in San Jose, had intimated that they would be wood, but we talked about a white washed plywood constructions. I still do not know for certain that the walls here are wood. They might be concrete. Concrete can be textured to look like wood. Still, it appears that at least for now, the walls are wooden both outside and in. The sliding glass doors took shape and form in the presentation. I saw how they stand, and slide, and open.

The frame of the house is steel. Blue grey gunmetal. It will be an austere counterpoint to the wood, and the surroundings of Plan B. I saw, in this images, for the first time, how the roof floats over the house. There are small windows at the top of all the wall, allowing the house ot be opened, and for the wind to blow unimpeded through the house, as well as under and over.

The kitchen warmed my heart. The floor is polished concrete. [authors note- I had concrete floors onces in florida and learned to buy more dishes than I needed. Plates and glasses do not bounce, they shatter.]. There is a prep island/breakfast bar, floating from the counter space. on the counter is the oven, stove, and hood as well as an indutrila strength sink. There is a floating spice rack, or light, over the prep space. The wall behind the counter look to be covered in grey green glass, or tile. wonderful. The overall effect is asian in line and simplicity, and french in utility. Wonderful. There is a dedicated space for cookbooks, and then I think spice racks and pantries. I am really pleased.

And there is so much light. The house is floating, almost naked. It will still feel secure becuase it will let in the trees, and the green and the color of the soil, but there will never be a reason to turn on a light until the sun sets.

I cannot wait to see the treatments for the tower, or the bed room. But for now, its my move. I have not yet paid the soil engineer, and I need to. I was trying to open a Costa Rican bank account to save myself the wiring fees which will mount up considerably as we move forward, but so far have not found a good solution. I need to get him moving. everyone I know asks...when will it be done. I tell them, winter, probably new years. But none of that is going to move forward until this soil report is done.

These pictures are the first time the tickle of inevitability has touched me. For a moment, I sould see myself there, feel myself there, in the breeze, having a drink, looking at the view. It makes me uncomfortable, in a good way, like my feet want to be there.

Stacy, my good friend, asked me if I was anxious to have it ready. I told her no. The process has been so fufilling, so invigorating, that I do not want to rush a moment of it. I told her that the most important part of the process was working to enunciate a vision and finding someone who shared it. This has been the most gratifying experience, working with datum zero. I suspect they may not be for everyone. They will not be of much use if you want size, or a victorian, or a house anyone could build. But seeing my dreams sporatically translated into blueprints and digital images has been a high I had not imagined.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex Hidalgo Leiva said...

Hi Michael!
I'm so pleased that you could find emotive our work. I, as a part of Datum zero would like to send you back greeting for you future house, K HOUSE!

P.D.
The softwares that I worked with to get those renders were Blender3D, 3D Studio Max and VRay.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter