Thursday, February 01, 2007

SCDA.

Not that they do any work in Costa RIca, but I really like thier approach. I cannot copy any of the images from their web site, but you can follow this link there. Good porportions and interesting materiality to warm the hard bauhaus sort of feel the the raw volumes.

There was an idea I liked a lot from a project about which I read. It involved a wood panel exterior that was custom stained to match the trees in the area. I wonder, though, about pests and termites in CR. Thus I read about hardiplank, a Portland concrete poured with sand to give it texture and imitate wood. It is supposed to be easy to build with.

My main concern going into my meeting with Guillermo on Saturday, is preserving the costa rican architectural element. I do not, and cannot, imagine how to make it apparent in my dwelling without compromising the simplicity of the structure. I want something intimate, and the glass box leaves me a little flat when it comes to nuance.

I have been imagining villas, a non-centralized structure to maximize wind cooling and to blend with the slope of the hills in which I am situated. Gosh, I don't even recall the layout of the place. I am dealing with 8 year old memories. I should see the contour model in two days, and then dream. Until then, I can wonder how many baths I will need, and other things 30 year old surfers really shouldn't care about.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phoenix said...

Nice blog. New Year's Day Jan 2008, eh?

10:10 AM  
Blogger warnerk said...

Yeah, are you going to be there?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Phoenix said...

Insha'allah, yes. yes. I want to with you. I want to be with you there.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter