Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A bump.

In order to get a water hookup from the city of Nosara, it is necessary to get a letter of authorization from the Nosara Civic Association. I applied for such a letter and recently was denied. The response was that no new water permits were being granted on new developments.

From what I understand the Nosara Civic Association was instrumental in halting overdevelopment of the Nosara area. They refused to allow water to flow to projects that did not follow the civic plan. This was effective in preventing overzealous developers from creating hotels and 90% density lots.

I am puzzled as to why this measure is being applied to me. First of all, I have owned land in Nosara since 1999. Thats nearly 8.5 years now. I bought this before the land crazyness began. I bought the land to develop it, one day, but was waiting the right approach. I dont feel like it is proper to put me in the back of the line when I have been a land holder in Nosara for all these years.

Second, Plan B is intended to demonstrate to people that development can co-exist with ecology. I have not cut any exotic hardwoods, I have not created a retaining wall and filled the land as many people have done. The design nestles onto the landscape; its piers allow it to kiss hte landscape and use little earth movement.

I am building a roof that will catch water for cisterns to reduce my reliance on any water, in addition to managing run off. It seems counterintuitive that my project should be stopped when it is an education in how little one can ask from the land.

Third, without another option, I will, eventually be forced to consider the advice that I get from real estate agents: build a retaining wall, cut the parcel in two, cut all the trees, fill the land and sell it as two properties for someone else to develop. I dont want to do this.

I am having a hard time getting a response from the NCA. They have been nothing but pleasant in the past when I have contacted them. The last I heard from them, they were requesting association dues. I sent an email asking how to effect payment, as they left no transfer banking number, but I never heard a reply. I hope they are willing to work with me on this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely pay the dues, the civic org may not help you, but at least they might not go out of their way to impede you. You might offer to pay "back" dues for the 8 years once your water permit comes thru ;-)

Can you dig a well, in the Mal Pais area, that is very typical. Also septic system or tank that can be emptied. A well will run thousands of dollars, depending on the depth, so that is painful.

Sometimes in Costa Rica, I am told it is helpful to take out certain influential people to a very nice lunch to discuss your situation. Might require a surfing trip.

Pete.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter