Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Update: Its the 22nd. No bids are in yet. Guillermo has been diligent in nagging the contractor, who last promised that I would get them by yesterday.

In other news, I have been informed that Guillermo fired our original structural engineer. He felt someone else could do a better job an hired someone with whom he was worked before whose work is more accurate and creative. Good to hear. All the permitting is in place to move forward when the bids come back. Crossing fingers....

Oh yes, and I saw that the interior images were posted on Guillermo's site, look under K house. Note though, if you read the project details, that the house has 3 bedrooms, and it is a zendo the house has, not a yoga studio. I dont do yoga.

Plan A has a green light. Paul has designed a teak one room cabin, with a shower and a small kitchen. Screen doors one one side, a window on the other. The walls are actually a porous membrane, with spaces and screen between the boards. The bathroom would be remote from the site. electrical systems set up for solar panels, and a catchment and cistern system for water. Simple really. The design is intended to compliment K house. The teak cladding certainly echos it, as does the deck. The roof might be a different material, unless I can find the same material which is being used for K house roof.

Does anyone out there know what teak sells for per board foot, and where we could get it? I dont want to use a toxically sealed product, and teak, or cedar, both of which are farmed in Costa Rica, though I am not sure they are native, would be natural protection from bugs and from rot.

Guillermo gave his approval of the project. I think, in the end, this is going to make me a much better client during the building process of Plan B (K House). I bet spending a week on the land will also teach me a lot about the site. I am going to think about how to get a view from the projected height of the tower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter