Monday, December 03, 2007

Its frustrating. In my life, I have generally been in a position to affect outcomes. I feel so emotionally tied into this building project, and now that we have hit a snag, I feel fairly powerless to affect things.

From my end it looks like this...we work as a team to design the building. I see it take form and shape and start to see myself in it. Then there is a large financial barrier, and now its like lobbing suggestions into a black box. Guillermo and his team can alter the plans. The contractor can change his bid. The structural engineer can vary structural systems. But I get to just sit and wait, and see what they all come up with. Until they do...I cannot do anything. Grrrr.

So I wait. At some point, I will get a number. Or maybe a set of options, or a talk with D0 about what I can opt to reduce and that which I need to have: materials, spaces, etc. And then I will get a number. Then its to me. I will then see if that number works, and what financing options are available. But until then...I wait.

Yours,

Frustrated.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, stay cool. CAFTA has passed in CR, but I don't know when it kicks in. Also, I expect world demand to cool after the China Olympics this summer. If the US housing slump continues and economy stays slow, you could possibly see a decline in materials prices. If Americans slow down their building due to declining housing values, same deal. Your home equity loan rates should not be increasing in the next year, so time may be on your side. Good luck.
Pete

8:22 PM  
Blogger warnerk said...

Cheers thanks Pete,

The problem is that the CR economy is so tied to the US economy, and I see the buying power of the US dollar only continuing to erode, and getting worse is Bernake is foolish enough to cut rates again. I mean, who is thier right mind is going to buy US bonds? I think the prices might flatten out, but labor costs look to be the driving factor as far as I can tell. I hear there is a profound labor shortage on the Guanacaste to be allieviated in the long term, but using Nicaraguan labor, but in the short term, i.e. the next year or so, I dont see relief.

but you are right, time to take a deep breath and let market forces play out here.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter