Friday, April 20, 2007

One of the really clever things about Plan B, if you believe in really clever things, is the programmatic separation of the horizontal and vertical elements. It is, in fact, two houses in one, pivoting off of the kitchen. If it were a ven diagram, and I am finding them really funny right now, then the kitchen would be the darkened overlapping bit. Fortunately it is not a ven diagram, which is going to make the living experience a lot more pleasurable.



The question is what personalities do the two spaces have, how can they be maintained visually and experientially?



Originally, there were two staircases, one ladder like going up into the tower, and the other spiral going to the bed room. This separated the elements. This is currently under review though because of a couple of changes in the plan, and some whining on my part.



I wonder, at this point, if the materials, and feels of the environment of the vertical elements should be different. I thought of this yesterday when I was building my kitchen scrap book, and reviewing green flooring materials for a kitchen. Wood, tile, concrete all probably worked well, but when the article discussed cork, I recalled a floor I saw once, I think in Domino magazine (I know I know, what is a red blooded 31 year old heterosexual doing reading Domino. It wasn't mine. It was W's roomat...ok fine, I liked it. happy? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?) an example of a cork floor using recycled wine corks. The mortar, or whatever it is, between the blond cork was black. I think I saw it used in a bathroom. Kind of like this, but with light cork and dark filler:







I dont know that cork, or this cork floor in particular is the answer. I really dont even like most cork floors. That is not the point. The point is, the tower could be very warm. Walls in warm colors, reds, blacks, dark greens maybe. Or the floor could be dark, as opposed to the blondish color in the rest of the house. Really, something nearly black, or espresso, in the Zendo. Or light floors with age green walls. Bedrooms are very sensual when dark with committed coloring or textures, or...well, it was just a thought. White, and open on the horizontal, warm in the kitchen (as a kitchen should be right? burnt orange, reds, deep green, stone, whatever...), and then something different in the vertical element. I dont know how this would work.



We are certainly not talking about wall paper. Or doilies. Or anything really busy, but maybe a change of approach could set it off. You will never see the vertical house from the horizontal house. It should be subtle, the change, I suppose...well, I just dont know how to work it.



Frankly, I dont know how anyone ever makes design decisions. Especially on materials. There are so many great ones. Dyed concrete flooring, unfinished concrete floors, hard woods with white stains, black stained floors, green stained floors, bamboo, tiles, glass tiles, metal tiles, ceramic tiles, cork, Epoxy, linoleum, plank wood, parkay flooring, stone, granite, etc. etc. etc. and that's just floors. Wow. What a neat job to have.


As an aside, the program for the horizontal element has been plywood walls with white stain. I have gone down to the hardware store to see if I could see an example of this...I cannot picture it. Could be great, or terrible. I dont know. If you have an image, oh blog-friends o' mine, you could send it on to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter