Thursday, February 14, 2008

I need two hours to tell it all.

I have 5 minutes.

I built a deck. A real deck. Not alone, lord not alone. Paul and Dad and Lynn and I built ont he work of Mike and Rebecca and we have a deck today. A teak deck.

Mess after mess. Dad arrived and we had to find a way to make 8 footers for the house. Truth is taht I had started working ont hat a day before. I went to the ferreteria, where I was helped by a nice tico, who speaks greeat english and has a great sense of humour. After an hour explaining what i was trying to do, I left with 250 ounds quick crete and 8 buckets.

I mixed one with a shovel and a machete as a tester. I was not set the next day. Dad and I mixed them more slowly, pouring the concrete, turning it iver, adding water, rins lather repeat. We did this in the back of the surf dorm, Solo Bueno. The guys inside kept creeping out with encouragement.

We ran out of cement, and went to the hardware store. It was, of course, sunday. I asked someone there who might have concrete and he advised me to try the super market. I did, and they didn´t but at a nearby construction siute I talked a guy into selling me a single bag of portland cerement. Dad and I drove to the internet cafe to learn how much aggregate we needed. 66 percent. I went to another construciton site and borrowed some sand. We mixed the final two in Mateo´s wheelbarrow's.

More later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Wow - sounds like you're on your way back from the brink, brother. Keep your chin up! We'll build this thing.

1:10 PM  
Blogger CostaRicaPete said...

Pullin' for you man. Good Luck.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter