Monday, February 18, 2008

Where was I? Mixing concrete? oh yes.

So, dad and I turned over 5 5 gallon buckets filled with quickcrete when we realized we hadn't enough. No problem, I would got to the ferreteria (Hardware store...or where you buy ferrets, the dictionary was unclear). I drove down the hill, only to discover that the hardware store was closed. It was sunday after all.

On a recommendation, I drove to the the chicken wire supermarket, and outside there was a concstruction crew working. I talked a worker into selling me a back of cement, then drove tot he internet cafe to find out how much aggregate you need. I stole some sand and we had our footers after mixing the last of them in a borrowed wheelbarrow.

The next day, we had a hard time finding paul and mike and rebecca. They were finally all located around 2, and paul and dad and I headed to the plot to find the location for the house. They all presented problems, this one was too steep, this one in front of K House, this one in a tree. We finally agreed and dad cleared the area with a machete while paul and I measured out the house with a tape measure.

The next day, Dad and Paul and I went to the hardware store. THis is where I started to make small whining noises. I brought down as many tools as I could cary, but they were not many and we needed everything. Add to that that I cannot take the stuff home and that I was already 1000 over budget, adn we had a serious case of being cheap. We bought a bosc circular saw instead of a stanley, because it was half the price. cable was a dollar a foot, so we bought two extension cords. 3 hammers, nails, a sqaure, a hand saw, some string, a shovel, and a step ladder amounst others. They have an odd system where you cannot look at the tools, but our spanish was poor enough, we irritated them into letting us. Dad and Paul were aghast at the lack of junction boxes and crimps for electrical systems. I was feverishly trying to use beginer spanish to translate, circuit breaker, and grounding wire, and other things not covered in Espanol 1.

That afternoon, all 6 of us went up the hill. Using string, and a tape measure, we measured the back line. Dad sharpened stakes with the machete. we dug 4 holes and buried the cnocrete footers which I had dragged literally, down the hill. Paul checked them with a level, and they looked, pretty damn good. I was amazed at the high of seeing those footers in the ground, rder from choas, the footings of a house in the jungle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter