Monday, April 30, 2007

Shade...

The tower could be a very hot box. I know Guillermo and I talked briefly about how screens would provide shade for the project, but I am not certain, truly, how this will work.

I believe the idea as it was being formulated was to use screens that would cover the windows from the searing Costa sun, but could be raised to provide a roof line. Lightweight, locally available, etc. Still, I cannot picture then. It could make the tower like a tree, with the panels as leaves. One day adding solar capacity would make it more like a tree. Jesus I sound like a complete hippie right now.

Guillermo and I went over the roof line while I was in San Jose. I discussed extending its leaf like shape just slightly to provide more shade for the terminal bedroom/office. As it reads right now, the roof line almost touches the house over this portion on the end. I was concerned that in all times after midday, the room will get direct sunshine into it. Now this is a functional concern. It may not, with tree coverage, even be much of an issue. Furthermore, there may be aesthetic reasons that the roof line should meet the house at the point. I find that I love the plans, the approach and the aesthetic, thus I spend most of my time gazing at the plans trying to shake out functional questions and weaknesses or preferences.

For example, I mentioned that I was concerned about the trusses which would hang, in some areas, past the house and un protected into the elements. Costa Rica rains a lot. I am concerned, as I explained to Guillermo, that over the years the trusses would require considerable upkeep or replacement as the sun, and then the rains, beat down on them. Guillermo mentioned the idea of extending the roof line using a translucent material to cut the UV and shelter then from the rain. I like that approach, but I wonder what the two versions would look like. It would be great to be able to know for sure if the belt needs the suspenders, you know?

So I guess the point of this post, is how and where, will shade be provided over the house? The gallery, yes, the kitchen, sort of, the bedrooms, some of them, the tower, I dont know. Its is clear from Costa Rican architecture, that avoiding the sun is the key to comfortable living in the tropics. I think Guillermo is doing a good job of transitioning from indoors to outdoors and blurring the line of which is which.

But what about that tower?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter