Saturday, May 19, 2007

Criticism,

Well, perhaps critique is the better word. From a Costa Rica BB that I frequent to get valuable information regarding living and building in Costa Rica, and at which I have posted this blog, I received the following, interesting, email from Marcos:

Good luck on your project. But I think your creative ideas will soon collide with the realities of building in Costa Rica. The reason you see 90% of the homes and buildings built with concrete is because that's what's work best with the elements here. It is no fun sanding and varnishing wood every year because of the sun and rain. Don't create any spaces for insects or rodents to make a home or have fun ridding your house of their waste and noise. Open areas?? Have you seen how many insects there are after the first few rains??? And wind. If the wind hits your house when it's blowing full force in January-April, your roof and house better be able to take it or you will see your roof in the waves in the morning!! Most Architects try to charge a fee of 10% of the value of the construction. With all of your consultations, is that about what you are paying?? I would like to see a photo of the final product and how much you ended up paying per square foot of construction. You scored on the lot, so the rest is easy! Enjoy!!

He raises a lot of valid concerns.

First, construction. I am going to guess that if I cannot find a building crew that can accomplish what is needed, that the whole project wiats. Or stops, or changes, but I am not at terribly concerned about that to tell the truth. There are, even in Nosara, increasingly more sophisticated builders available, juding from the increasingly more sophisticated building projects I have seen. There is a house in my niehgborhood which looks about 5-6 meters wide, but is 3 stories, maybe 4, tall. It is a tall column, and so far, looks well built, if a little intrusive.

I believe the outside of the house, and perhaps the interior also, is going ot be largely concrete. Not the floors, but the walls, and the foundation. There will be steel framing for the entire structure, honestly something I am excited to see in practice and in execution.

Pests are a problem. I dont think that I am creating any problems in particular, but I did express to Guillermo that I was concerned about the roof, which has two layers for colling and to decrease the thermal shock of the day heats, might harbor animals. He told me it will be finsihed with metal screens. I think that pests, and animals, are being taken into account in the design.

I am not paying a 10% fee of construction. Guillermo and I settled on a set fee that does not change whether the project grows, or shrinks. this fee compensates him to do the project, without much for profit left over. He a select few projects a year, and chooses them based on how interesting a challenge they present. I have been very pleased with the cost. my friend, who is a real estate developer, was very impressed with the cost.

Using estimated costs, Guillermo's fee would equal just a little over 10 percent. When I compare his work with the buildings in the area, his attention to detail, professionalism and vision, I am, at least so far, very pleased, and think he is a steal. Then agian, I dont think he is doing this project to get rich. I think it is a statement. It is a statement, a dream, for us both.

I would use him agian in a heartbeat.

I will post a picture. I will post images along the way. It is going to be something special, and, as you pointed out Marcos, I got a steal, this is just gravy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter