Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I am 32 years old, an intellectual preoprty attorney, and today, I wired a bang box from an illegally tapped power line. This is what Costa Rica will do to you.

J, a local, helped explain to me last night in the dark, how to steal electricity. I took his 200 feet of 6 guage cable and wired it into my neghbor's pole. Problem is that non eof the 20 amp slots would turn over the saw. A

At first, I suspected the saw. J told me that power tools sold in central amareica are not manufactured in the US like the ones we buy. This one was made in Brazil. Aparently they do not last long, and need to be replaced often. I went and raised hell about this with Daniel at the ferreteria, but he just plugged it in and showed me that it worked.

Later, I tried to splice the 200 feet cable into an extention cord. The ends were too wide and would not hold. I threw it down in frustration. Yik.

Team Canada moved more wood in 2 hours than I did in 3 days. They made a chute from 14 foot planks,and just chucked the teak down. Impressive. I found them testing out the tensile strength of the local vines on one of my trips up and down the hill trying to get us power. All in all, it was a frustrating day. 8 hours of looking, no power, no generator

I moved from Lucy's back to the bueno tonight. Good to be amoungst the borthers again, thick in fogs of cigarettes and other things, and in the kitchen learning from college age kids how to really make masa work for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter