Monday, February 18, 2008

I am so many days bhind, I am just going to blow thorugh this.

We got the footers in and then had to fight elecricity issues. You cannot, for reasons unknown to me, rent generators in Costa Rica. You cannot, for that matter, rent anything really. So it was the option to buy one, for 1100 dollars, to to figure another way out. The first day, we hijacked power from an outdoor outlet of a neighbor. We used the foot stool and the back of the car to sut the heavy 2 x 8 x 14s into footers. Then I dragged them down the hill. It was a lot of dragging, and soon everyone was exhausted. Lynn was holding boards for dad to but, Paul was taking measurements, and Mike and I were hauling lumber up and down hills. We ended exhausted.

The next day, we used another neighbors electricity with his permission. this sped everything up, as we were working closer to the pile of lumber. Dad cut like a maniac, and I chucked wood down the hill then dragged it to the building site. Paual and Mike adn Rebecca managed to reect the posts, and lter the joists one by done.

The neghbor cut off our electricity the next day, so I drive over to inquire of the loca restaurant if they had one. Debbie and her mom could not have been warmer or more charitable toward a neighbor, and they lent me thier generator. It turns out, by coincidence, that they hail from my father´s home town´s neghbor. There was a lot of catching up done, and we ate at the vista Paraiso overlooking gioness. Everyone felt more civilized. With the generator, we moved more quickly, and had the deck framed out and teaked by the end of the day. We stood on it, and imagined the house, and looked at the view and felt accomplished.

Dad and Lynn went with Mike and Rebecca to Liberia the next morning, and Paul and I struggled that day to get the 10 footers into place. We got all the joists in but the last one before dark fell and we could nto see anymore to work.

That night, I met with B, who runs a hotel here, and she reminded me that some of her guests were open to helping me finish the project. They were 4 canadians on vacation from novia scotia. I dont know if it was the idea of building in the jungle, or bordeom, or heavy drug use, but they agreed to build the surf cabin.


O Canada!Our home and native land!True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.


Canada has recued us. Not all of canada, but four surfers from Novia Scotia.


I met them a few nights ago in the Casa Tucan. They listened to my unfortunate tale of building int he jungle, but were interested. In fact, they told me that they did construction in Canada, were here on vacation and a bit bored.


Well, I found them a few nights later, and they again offered to build the house with me. This saved my ass so completely, I could have wept.


I postoned my trip to nicaragua, and took them up tot he site today after we surfed this morning. They are true professionals. They looked at the site, estimated 2 days without a compresser and a hammer tool, and 1 with. I am looking for another generator for them, and a triangle.


Did I mention I love canadians?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter