Saturday, February 23, 2008

Woah now, this is reeeeeeally interesting. It might save my mood completely...

¨¨Melina wood was traditionally used to make wood pulp because it grows easily and quickly, and because its fire resistance makes it a safe product. Melina is also virtually insect proof, making it a wood that may increase significantly in demand owing to a 2001 ruling by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that calls for the phase out of pressure treated lumber . . .¨¨


I cannot verify this statement, but it gives me real hope that my project will not be eaten in just a few minutes and more importantly, that I dont need to insect proof the stuff.

Still, the locals call it bug candy. They recommended treating it with pentachlorophyll (sp), and diesel fuel. I think I side with the locals. B showed me where an entire house of Melina was destroyed by termites. Her new one is steel framed.

There are so many products, and I dont know which one to use SOme of the insecticides that are effective, stain the wood green. Others, I dont know how safe they are. A clear incsectide that the ferreteria sold me, turn out not to be an insecticide at all. This, I learned after applying it for 6 hours in the heat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter